“If you do one thing in PE, make sure it is a township tour…This (Real City) Tour is strictly cringe free. It will tell you everything you ever wanted to know about South Africa; past and present.” London Sunday Times
This is our flagship tour. The one that made us famous. Like the label says – it explores the Real City.
This city tour gives a great perspective on the development of cities in South Africa, and explores the history of all of the people. It covers the city centre, with its English heritage, and proceeds to the townships – where 75% – of residents live. Expect to be surprised by the diversity of the townships. Yes, you will see some shack dwellings (for now) but more importantly you will see new housing development and middle class areas too. We will dispel the myths about townships being shack-lands of poverty and hopelessness. The guides are locals, love to share their life experiences and their Xhosa Culture.
Townships are the heart of urban African life. They’re a repository of history, culture and life stories. They’re vibrant, heart-breaking, heart-warming, resilient, cohesive, and dynamic.
- Departs daily at 10 a.m until 1:30 pm for a minimum of two people.
- Pick up and drop off from your Hotel, Bed and Breakfast or Backpacker
- The guides are locals, professionals, and tell good stories.
- It includes a visit to a township school for tea or a local shebeen on weekends and school holidays, for a drink.
- Safe vehicles, with all required insurances
- Fair Trade Tourism Accredited.
- Cost: R 600 per person
Anke from Hamburg, March 2014: This is possibly the best excursion I’ve ever done. The local tour guide really managed to make history come alive and introduced us to present township life, which is much more vibrant than I thought. I learned a lot and enjoyed getting the opportunity to experience the ‘real’ Port Elizabeth.
To book click here